At H.O.M.E Preschool, we are BIG advocates of early childhood education and we do believe one of the biggest impact to a child's lifelong journey is family involvement, and a great way to start is reading together. Young children are more likely to have above average vocabulary attainment if they look at or read both printed stories and stories on a touch screen. In an effort to encourage reading within your family, we have compiled a few resources to find good old fashioned paper books, free online books, audible books and apps for reading.
Where to find books:
- H.O.M.E Preschool Library - request a library card to check out books. Please read our Library Contract.
- Local Library
- Funbrain.com - Created for kids in grades Pre-K through 8, Funbrain.com has been the leader in free educational games for kids since 1997. Funbrain offers hundreds of games, books, comics, and videos that develop skills in math, reading, problem-solving and literacy.
- Book Trust: Storybooks to read online - Access interactive books or read books online. You will find classic children's books alongside more modern titles. Scroll down the page to see some children's online games.
- Storyline Online - Storyline Online is a great place to start if you're looking for free children's books online This website has a large selection of children's books that are available to read online. Many of these online picture books also have the option to listen to the story being read aloud. Another great feature of this website is that it includes activities and discussion questions for each book. This is a great way to get your child thinking about the story they just read.
- Storyberries - offers both classic and contemporary stories in an easy-to-read format with vibrant illustrations designed to excite children and engage them around reading.
- Kids Learn to Read - This app has a bunch of activities that kids will find engaging and fun. Kids will work on blending sounds together and doing various word work activities.
- Kids Reading Sight Words - Join Tammy the frog on a journey through four exciting activities (this Lite version contains only two activities) as she hops from one screen to the next to learn and review commonly used English words from the list of 220 Dolch sight words. There are five levels of vocabulary for the child to learn and review.
- Preschool & Kindergarten Games - 30 interactive educational games for your preschool and kindergarten kids! These games and lessons are used by millions of parents and teachers to help educate and entertain young kids with preschool and kindergarten games. As your pre-k child progresses through the lessons they earn stickers to add to their board, rewarding them for learning and playing! This is a perfect collection of educational games for little kids.